Nothing in cyberspace is sacred
Many people have complained that, with recent updates to Drupal 5, forum topics don’t show anymore. If you’re having trouble in Drupal 6, this solution should work, too.
Fortunately, the problem is easily fixed.
The recent Drupal updates have ALL failed to update the Taxonomy category vocabulary for Forums. This is true up to Drupal version 5.19. Here’s how to fix things:
1. Got to admin/content/taxonomy and find the “Forums” category.
2. Click on “Edit Vocabulary.”
3. You’ll see that “forum topic” is already selected. Leave it alone.
4. Scroll down the page and click on “Story”.
5. Click on “Submit” at the bottom of the page.
Forums needs two associations to function; i.e., “forum topic” and another choice, which in this case is “story”. You could have chosen any other association besides “story”, but “story” makes the most sense from the available list.
It’s not clear why Drupal updates since 5.7 have not addressed this issue; maintainers just didn’t do it. So, in summary, you need to edit the taxonomy category’s vocabulary for Forums to be associated with both “forum topic” and “story” for forum topics to show properly.
And there’s a bonus – Tagadelic tags will start working again for the forums.